News

ANC won't take on Agrizzi

Date: Apr 10, 2019

ANC won't take on Agrizzi

The ANC has decided not to challenge the testimony of former Bosasa chief operations officer Angelo Agrizzi – who the party’s spokesperson has previously condemned as a racist hellbent on undermining its credibility before the elections.

ANC spokesperson Dakota Legoete said the ANC had decided not to ask the Zondo commission of inquiry into state capture for the right to cross-examine Agrizzi about his claims that Bosasa (now trading as African Global Operations) had given R12m to the ANC top six over a period of almost two years from 2004. “Mr Agrizzi has clarified that these alleged payments were donations. They were not bribes,” Legoete said.

“We have received legal advice that there is therefore no need to cross-examine him.”

Agrizzi’s lawyer, Daniel Witz, said not one of the senior ANC officials and MPs implicated in corruption by Agrizzi – including environmental affairs minister Nomvula Mokonyane and MPs Vincent Smith and Cedric Frolick – had applied yet to cross-examine him, despite saying publicly that they were considering doing so.

Mokonyane’s spokesperson, Mlimandlela Ndamase, said on Tuesday Mokonyane would apply at a later stage due to the recent loss of her husband.

Agrizzi had testified that Bosasa not only paid bribes to Mokonyane, but also paid for rental cars for her daughter, and gave her other gifts such as braai packs and groceries.

He also handed over receipts to the inquiry, which allegedly show how Bosasa made a R1m payment to the ANC in North West in 2015, prior to the 2016 local government elections.

He alleged Bosasa would create false invoices to the government to generate such funding for the ANC’s election campaigns.

See live

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Actions
Loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Actions
Loading...
Complementary Content
CLOSE

Your Name:*

Your Email:*

Your Message:*

Enter Captcha:*